Student services - Study in TAFE
We want your study and life experiences to be rewarding and enjoyable from the minute you arrive at the airport.
International Students Coordinator
We understand that being a student is not just about learning. It's also about enjoying the experience of living in another country and making new friends.
Your International Students Coordinator:
- organises your orientation program
- meets you when you arrive at TAFE NSW
- answers questions about your studies
- helps to solve your problems
- helps you access other support services
You will be given the name of your International Students Coordinator when you receive your offer letter for admission.
Other support and counselling services
At your orientation program you will be given information about other support services available to students. These include:
- study skills programs
- help with learning the English language
- individual and group tutorials
- counselling for study problems, exam anxiety, learning difficulties, or stress management
- careers advice
- help finding a job, resume writing and interview skills
- counselling to help with relationships, homesickness, financial, legal and health issues, or any emergencies
- information about community resources and government agencies
TAFE NSW library services
When you enrol with TAFE NSW, you receive a TAFEcard and access to many services to help you with your studies.
TAFEcard is your library card and gives you borrowing privileges at your campus, access to a range of online learning materials and links you with a network of more than 100 TAFE NSW libraries.
TAFE NSW libraries provide great resources for you
- CDs, DVDs, videos and audiovisual material
- e-books and e-journals
- online and CD-ROM full-text journal databases
- books and magazines
- access to the internet for study and assignments
- reference services and interlibrary loans
- basic to advanced internet skills training sessions
- access to computers with software packages used in TAFE NSW courses
- individual and group study areas and rooms in the library
- photocopying and printing services
- reciprocal library services with other TAFE libraries across Australia
Many TAFE NSW locations have child care centres for the children of teachers, students and members of the local community.
You can leave your child (aged up to 5 years of age) with qualified early childhood staff.
Your child will enjoy a program of play and learning activities while you attend your classes.
All TAFE NSW children's centres employ qualified staff and are licensed and accredited.
Costs are approximately A$28 to A$45 per day.
Before you leave your home country make plans for someone to meet you in Australia at the airport. If family or friends are meeting you, give them your flight details, including arrival date and time.
If family or friends are not meeting you, TAFE NSW staff can arrange airport pick-up and accommodation for a small fee.
From the airport to Sydney and suburbs
Sydney international and domestic airport is 8km from central Sydney.
TAFE NSW staff can arrange to meet you at the airport and take you to your accommodation. If you wish to book this service, tick the 'Airport pickup' box on the TAFE NSW application form. We will send you a Service Request Form for you to provide your arrival date, time, airline and flight number.
A fee of A$140 for airport reception service is charged with your tuition fees.
You can also take a taxi or train to your destination. A taxi to the city centre will cost about A$25 to A$40.
The AirportLink train service runs from Sydney Airport to the city centre regularly and takes approximately 20 minutes. The fare from the Airport to Central Station is about A$16.50. At Central Station you can catch trains or buses to Sydney metropolitan areas or NSW regional centres.
CityRail operates the train system in Sydney and surrounding regional areas. For more details of suburban services visit Sydney Trains website
Services that fall beyond the area covered by CityRail are operated by CountryLink. For more details of these regional services visit NSW Train Link website
From the airport to other NSW cities
Some TAFE NSW locations are situated outside Sydney, you will need to travel from Sydney on another flight, or by train or bus.
If you need to stay overnight in Sydney, your International Students Coordinator at TAFE NSW can help you book temporary accommodation.
TAFE NSW offer other support services such as: