Part-time work is a great way to earn some money as well as gain experience and make new friends.

There is plenty of part-time work available in Sydney and surrounding regions. Once you have started your course, you can work on a part-time basis during academic terms. International students receive permission to work with their student visa. Once you have started your course, you can work up to 20 hours per week while your course is in session. You can work unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks and during vacations.

You must pay tax on your earnings at the same rate as other residents. The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website has information for international students who are working while studying.

Your workplace rights

The Fair Work Ombudsman is an independent government agency. It provides free education and information about people's basic rights and protections in the workplace, including minimum pay and conditions. It also helps to resolve workplace issues, conduct investigations, and enforce relevant Commonwealth workplace laws.

For more information about your workplace rights, download the international students fact sheet visit the Fair Work Ombudsman's website or call them on 13 13 94. Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) is also available, please call 13 14 50 and ask for the Fair Work Ombudsman. You can also follow the Fair Work Ombudsman on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

New in-language web content

There are now published 77 pages of new translated website content. Our customers can now access information in 30 languages, including content covering payment for work, holidays and taking time off, parental leave and ending employment.

The new content also includes in-language video resources in 16 languages.

If you would like to access the translated materials, you can visit the FWO's website at

Post-study work rights

The Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) provides recent graduates with the opportunity to live, study and work in Australia temporarily following their studies to gain practical work experience to accompany their Australian qualification(s).

If you graduate with a Bachelor, Master or Doctoral Degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of your field of study, you will be eligible to apply for a Temporary Graduate Visa – Post-Study Work stream. A visa in this stream can be granted for up to four years from the date the visa is granted, depending on the visa applicant's qualification.

For more information about post-study work rights:

Finding work

There are a number of ways to find part-time work such as:

For more information on employment in Australia:


Unpaid volunteer work can help you gain experience, improve language skills and meet new people.

Interested in volunteering? Then visit

Tax file number (TFN)

If you are planning to work in Australia, it is highly recommended that you apply for a tax file number (TFN). A tax file number is an identity number issued to you by the Australian Tax Office (ATO).

Do I need a TFN?

  • It is not compulsory to have a TFN. However, if you don't have one, you may pay more tax than necessary on your income from your job or on the interest on savings in your bank account.
  • When you earn money from a part-time job you must pay Australian taxes. At the end of each financial year (30 June), you may claim back the income tax from the ATO and get a tax refund.
  • Your employer and your bank (if you open a bank account) will ask you for your tax file number.

When should I apply for a TFN?

  • Before you start part-time work
  • You can only apply for a TFN when you arrive in Australia

Ask your International Students Coordinator at your school or college to help you apply.

More information


Do you need help?

Ask a question online or contact
TAFE NSW International or an authorised agent for help with choosing a TAFE NSW course or enrolling.

New South Wales


NSW lies on the east coast of Australia.
Sydney is the state's capital and the largest
city in Australia.

To find a campus go to TAFE NSW Institute locations.

Helpful guides

Guides on living, studying and working in:

ESOS Framework

The Australian Government wants international students to have a safe, enjoyable and rewarding study experience in Australia.

Read more about the ESOS Framework.

Find an agent

You must select a program and a country.