There are several different options available for accommodation. Annual living costs have been estimated at A$18,610 by Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).

Type of accommodation

Type of accommodation

'Homestay' is when you live with an Australian family in their home. The homestay family provides you with meals, laundry facilities and your own room with a study desk. You are usually asked to help with some household chores. Homestay also gives you the chance to practise your English every day at home.

TAFE NSW International can help to arrange homestay accommodation when you arrive in Australia for a small fee. Find out more about the Arrival and Accommodation Services fees.

Download the Homestay Providers list (pdf 66 KB)


How to find accommodation

TAFE NSW International can help you find short-term homestay accommodation when you arrive in Australia (minimum of 4 weeks stay).

To book homestay accommodation, tick the box on your application form. We will send you a service request form with your offer letter asking you to confirm that you want us to arrange your accommodation.

The fee for this service is charged with your tuition fees which needs to be paid in advance before you arrive in Australia.

Find out more about the Arrival and Accommodation Services fees.

Students under 18 years of age

International students under 18 must have suitable accommodation and welfare arrangements while they are studying in Australia. Options include:

  • Living with parents or relatives approved by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP)
  • Living with parent-nominated homestay with distant relatives or close family friends approved by TAFE NSW International
  • Living in homestay accommodation arranged by TAFE NSW International

Under 18 years of age

Living with parents or relatives approved by DIBP

Students may live with a parent or DIBP-approved relative. The relative must agree to undertake guardian/carer responsibilities

The relative must:

  • be a resident of NSW
  • be over 25 years of age
  • be able to remain in Australia until the student is 18 years of age
  • obtain an Australian Federal Police clearance

Parents must provide DIBP with proof that the guardian is related to the student.


Guardian / carer responsibilities

The guardian / carer is responsible for:

  • maintaining regular contact with the student and liaising with the TAFE NSW, homestay host and parents
  • ensuring the student meets the requirements of The Department of Education–DIBP course progress policy
  • notifying us, the TAFE coordinator and DIBP in writing of any changes in address or living arrangements within seven days. If the student is under 18 and we approve the accommodation and welfare arrangements, then written approval must be obtained prior to the change of arrangement
  • contacting the parents and TAFE coordinator in case of an accident, serious illness or medical emergency
  • assisting the student to seek necessary medical attention and obtain proper medical certificates in case of absence
  • informing the parents promptly in the event of any problems
  • contacting the TAFE coordinator requesting leave for the student for any appointments, specifying the dates and times of their absence
  • liaising with the TAFE coordinator concerning behaviour, conduct or any issues that may affect the student's progress
  • attending TAFE meetings as required on behalf of the parents
  • assisting the student to abide by TAFE NSW and visa requirements
  • taking responsibility for the student's welfare and supervision outside TAFE hours.


International students can choose from over 300 courses in Sydney and regional locations. Search from Certificate, Diploma, Advanced Diploma, Associate Degree and Bachelor Degree.
Select from these options to see which courses meet your needs.

Find out more about studying at a TAFE NSW institute

For further general information about qualifications, work placement, articulation, facilities and equipment, assessment methods and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) visit about TAFE NSW.


Do you need help?

Ask a question online or contact
TAFE NSW International or an authorised agent for help with choosing a TAFE NSW course or enrolling.




International Student Guide
Course list spreadsheet
Degree courses flyer

See more documents


How to apply

Find out how to apply to study at TAFE NSW.

Read the step-by-step instructions


ESOS Framework

The Australian Government wants international students to have a safe, enjoyable and rewarding study experience in Australia.

Read more about the ESOS Framework.


Agent search

TAFE NSW International has a worldwide network of representative agents who can help you complete and submit your application to study.

These representatives must provide you with accurate and up-to date information and advice regarding programs, courses, application procedures, living and studying in Australia. They can also assist with your visa application. If you wish to apply through an agent it is recommended that you use an agent on this list. If you choose to use another agent who is not published on this list, then TAFE NSW International is not responsible for the accuracy of the advice provided to you.

TAFE NSW English Language Centre agents

TAFE NSW English Language Centres also engage agent representatives and details of these agents can be found on the English Language pages for each of the listed Institutes. These agents may recruit students for intensive English language courses but not for any other courses at TAFE NSW.

If you have any concerns with regard to the service provided by our agent representatives, please contact us.